It didnt deserve to go
Andy
2003-11-05 23:18:13 UTC
It was no better or worse than Eastenders or Corrie and certainly not worse
than Emmerdale which those programmes will most probably go on for years
more so I cannot see why it couldn't have been saved from the chop.

---
This email and attachments have been checked for viruses by AVG Antivirus
and is certified Virus- Free.
Gareth
2003-11-05 23:44:29 UTC
Post by Andy
It was no better or worse than Eastenders or Corrie and certainly not worse
than Emmerdale which those programmes will most probably go on for years
more so I cannot see why it couldn't have been saved from the chop.
I think you're right.

But the simple answer is that CH4 didn't want it anymore because they felt
that a shift to popular entertainment rather than topical drama was the way
forward. They didn't give Brookside a chance to enjoy its revamp and claw
back some of the huge popularity it once enjoyed. Brookside needed to be
seen as a long term project rather than a short term success and because of
this other television companies weren't sufficiently interested in it to
make it work (Sky, Ch5...) The other soaps have always had a degree of
popularity if only because you can't avoid them - prime time evening viewing
on the 2 major channels.

I think it's a bloody crime that one of the most creative, daring and well
written products of British culture has been dropped as a bad bet. But
Brookside also has it's own script writers to blame: in recent years some of
the writing was so shoddy as to be offensive - altered plots. plot flaws,
lack of consistency in writing and so on testified to a lack of high quality
production values. These values returned in the last episode - one which
Redmond had a hand in writing.

It did actually become an embarrassment. The changed format with one family
or just 2 characters per show was boring. The altered camera work using
close panning styles and claustrophobic angles didn't help to tell the story
and didn't bear any resemblance to the crafted performances provided in
earlier years. I think that more time would have helped but by the time
notice to quit was officially given there was no investment to make the
revamp work.

Gareth.
Andy
2003-11-06 00:07:01 UTC
The "topical" part was too intense I think. The phase where they went
through of filming it on film (is it telecine they call it or something?)
and the weird camera views whilst they think it makes it more exciting, I
think puts people more off watching it - (lets hope the other soaps don't go
down that road).

If it was too topical or political they (or the writers) could have changed
that. I think they looked at how Barry Grant's Dad (cant remember his name
at the mo) used to go on politically and always making points and thought
that's what people liked (or thought they may in some way change the world
with their storylines) and tried to carry that line on over the years
(especially with Jimmys character) but viewers taste change over the years.
I think they should have cut out most of that political claptrap myself.