Brookie Star Dead
*markster*
2003-12-01 21:13:17 UTC
I recently discovered that the actress who played Cassie Charlton (Mick'
Sister-in-law, worked in the garage) Ebony Gray has passed away.

Don't know the cause.

Mark
Trish
2003-12-01 21:18:26 UTC
Post by *markster*
I recently discovered that the actress who played Cassie Charlton (Mick'
Sister-in-law, worked in the garage) Ebony Gray has passed away.
Don't know the cause.
Cancer.

From: http://www.caribvoice.org/Transitions/deaths.html

Ebony Gray
London, August 23, 2003: From 1996 to 1998 Ebony Gray, who has died of
cancer aged 49, played the loving but uncompromising Cassie Charlton on
Channel 4's Brookside. The part changed her life. She recalled that, before,
when she went in Liverpool shops, the reason why the security guards had
followed her around was because she was was black. Post-Brookside, it was
because they wanted her autograph.
After the soap opera she collaborated with writer Barbara Phillips to create
Ebony's Album - a musical which drew on her Scottish, Irish, African and
Caribbean ancestry across five generations. Ebony starred in this, along
with Margie Clarke and Louis Emerick, at Liverpool's Neptune Theatre in
2000. Two years later she was commissioned by Granada TV to devise and
present My Liverpool, a personal portrait of her native city.
But her higher profile never diminished her less public but equally valuable
work. In 2002 she was still running weekly Women Of Strength workshops with
a group of mature black women, and other workshops with young people.
Ebony began her community-based education work in 1978, when she went to
lead a drama group at Granby Primary School (now Kingsley community school)
in Toxteth, where she had been a pupil. She repeated this initiative at the
Merseyside Caribbean Centre (where the voices of the youthful participants
mingled with the sounds of domino playing by the older residents) and also
at the Methodist youth centre. Youngsters participating in these workshops
gained insights from recreating the real-life dramas of local history,
including racial conflicts.
In the 1980s, she worked on the club and pub circuit, appeared with groups
such as as Steel'n'Skin and Osibisa, and was resident singer at the Grafton
Rooms in Liverpool, singing soul, jazz and her own compositions.
Ebony's career changed dramatically in the 1990s, when operations to correct
a foot injury instead led her to be registed as a disabled person. She
became a member of the Arts Council's Disability Monitoring Committee, and a
presenter and writer for the TV programme From The Edge, produced by the
BBC's Disability Programmes Unit. And then there was Brookside.
Largely raised by her Liverpudlian mother - her Trinidadian father was a
sailor, and often away at sea - Ebony trained as a performer with the Watts
Repertory Company in Los Angeles, the first black repertory company in the
America. She left Liverpool in 1974 as Carole Williams, and returned in 1978
as Ebony, because the name was "powerful and strong". The 1965 Watts civil
rights riots and the 1981Toxteth riots also influenced her perception of
race and society.
In May she married Martin Ryan. He survives her as does her daughter from a
previous marriage, Tammy, three grandchildren, two brothers and a sister.
· Ebony (Carolyn Anne) Gray, actor and activist, born January 25 1954; died
August 8 2003
--
Trish
Dublin, Ireland
*markster*
2003-12-02 00:20:56 UTC
Cancer.
From: http://www.caribvoice.org/Transitions/deaths.html
Ebony Gray
[...]
Thanks for the info.

Mark
amstereofan
2003-12-13 20:33:13 UTC
Cancer.
From: http://www.caribvoice.org/Transitions/deaths.html
Ebony Gray
London, August 23, 2003: From 1996 to 1998 Ebony Gray, who has died of
cancer aged 49, played the loving but uncompromising Cassie Charlton on
Channel 4's Brookside. The part changed her life. She recalled that,
Can't quite remember what she looked like though I remember her mother who
was very ill in the programme, very harrowing scenes etc. Got annoying
though eventually as the storyline went on forever. Wasn't it to do with
Euthanasia ?
JNugent
2003-12-13 21:52:24 UTC
Cancer.
From: http://www.caribvoice.org/Transitions/deaths.html
Ebony Gray
London, August 23, 2003: From 1996 to 1998 Ebony Gray, who has died
of cancer aged 49, played the loving but uncompromising Cassie
Charlton on Channel 4's Brookside. The part changed her life. She
recalled that,
Can't quite remember what she looked like though I remember her
mother who was very ill in the programme, very harrowing scenes etc.
Got annoying though eventually as the storyline went on forever.
Wasn't it to do with Euthanasia ?
It was.

And the "Cassie" character was supposed to be the manager of the petrol
station - even though never seen on-screen - for some time after she
departed from the programme.
Gareth
2003-12-14 16:42:38 UTC
Cancer.
From: http://www.caribvoice.org/Transitions/deaths.html
Ebony Gray
London, August 23, 2003: From 1996 to 1998 Ebony Gray, who has died of
cancer aged 49, played the loving but uncompromising Cassie Charlton on
Channel 4's Brookside. The part changed her life. She recalled that,
Can't quite remember what she looked like though I remember her mother who
was very ill in the programme, very harrowing scenes etc. Got annoying
though eventually as the storyline went on forever. Wasn't it to do with
Euthanasia ?
Yes, court case with perverse verdict and all - Mick was acquitted despite
breaking down in the witness box and confessing to the mercy killing of his
mother in law.

Cassie never forgave him for killing her mother, who was dying of cancer,
and there were some very powerful and well written scenes between the 2 of
them: Mick had robbed her of the chance to say goodbye. Mick's wife did a
runner with her children in order to escape the murder charge and was never
seen again.

It was actually a promising story line which was never pursued to a
satisfactory conclusion. The characters concerned - Cassie and Mick's wife
whose name I can't remember - just disappeared from the screen and the story
line died. Cassie was supposed to be managing the petrol station for quite a
few months after her disappearance and there were quite a few references to
her during this time - despite the fact that she was never seen. It was
around this time that Brookside really started to go down hill - plot flaws,
lack of continuity in story line and poor scripting became more obvious.

Gareth.
amstereofan
2003-12-21 21:04:08 UTC
Post by Gareth
Cancer.
From: http://www.caribvoice.org/Transitions/deaths.html
Ebony Gray
Post by amstereofan
Post by Trish
[...]
Thanks for the info. Yes I remember the soryline did seem to fizzle out like
you say. I stopped watching around April 1998. From 1982 up until then it
was consistantly great IMO. Channel 4 would do well to repeat it right from
the beginning even if in the middle of the night I feel even then it would
get good ratings once the word got around etc. Still I know this will never
happen -(

Repeats were on Sky 1 - at 3am - from 1996 this time last year but were
dropped in Jan. Doubt we'll see any repeats again even though we now have
300 channels..