Brookside first episode (2-11-82) reshown on More4
JNugent
2007-10-01 22:11:26 UTC
More 4 tonight showed the editions of "Countdown" and "Brookside" from
C4's opening night nearly 25 years ago, as well as "Walter" and "Five
Go Mad...".

I thought I remembered the first Brookside episode, but it felt as
though I'd never seen the first half. In particular, I didn't remember
the scenes at the Collins family's previous (Wirral?) home. The
memories came flooding back with the second part, though.

It seemed fairly slow. And the sound was mystifyingly poor - up and
down in volume like a 1928 talkie.

Anyone else see it?
johannes
2007-10-01 22:28:34 UTC
Post by JNugent
More 4 tonight showed the editions of "Countdown" and "Brookside" from
C4's opening night nearly 25 years ago, as well as "Walter" and "Five
Go Mad...".
I thought I remembered the first Brookside episode, but it felt as
though I'd never seen the first half. In particular, I didn't remember
the scenes at the Collins family's previous (Wirral?) home. The
memories came flooding back with the second part, though.
I didn't watching Brookside from the beginning, mainly because I didn't
like the signature tune. The first episode I saw was when Barry pushed
Terry's lovely wife off from a scaffolding, but that story line wasn't
followed up to a large extent... Just a humdrum murder; happens all
the time (in soaps).
JNugent
2007-10-01 22:39:37 UTC
Post by johannes
Post by JNugent
More 4 tonight showed the editions of "Countdown" and "Brookside" from
C4's opening night nearly 25 years ago, as well as "Walter" and "Five
Go Mad...".
I thought I remembered the first Brookside episode, but it felt as
though I'd never seen the first half. In particular, I didn't remember
the scenes at the Collins family's previous (Wirral?) home. The
memories came flooding back with the second part, though.
I didn't watching Brookside from the beginning, mainly because I didn't
like the signature tune. The first episode I saw was when Barry pushed
Terry's lovely wife off from a scaffolding, but that story line wasn't
followed up to a large extent... Just a humdrum murder; happens all
the time (in soaps).
I watched Brookside from the very beginning to the very end (bar a
small handful of episodes when on holiday). Much of this was out of a
sense of duty because it was the first ever network TV programme fully
controlled from Liverpool (and I had just left the region when it
started).

I agree about the baffling sig tune. It was re-recorded at least once
and sounded much better in later versions.
johannes
2007-10-01 23:22:42 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by johannes
Post by JNugent
[...]
But it was fun to watch at times with all that violence. Sinbad was a
dodgy gas fitter at some point, a shop where he had done some work blew
up. (the story line often reflected contemporary issues). Sinbad and
I think it was Corkhill had blood on their faces from cuts, but in
identical places LOL! The make-up artist obviously followed a text book.
michael adams
2007-10-01 22:41:11 UTC
Post by JNugent
More 4 tonight showed the editions of "Countdown" and "Brookside" from
C4's opening night nearly 25 years ago, as well as "Walter" and "Five
Go Mad...".
I thought I remembered the first Brookside episode, but it felt as
though I'd never seen the first half. In particular, I didn't remember
the scenes at the Collins family's previous (Wirral?) home. The
memories came flooding back with the second part, though.
It seemed fairly slow. And the sound was mystifyingly poor - up and
down in volume like a 1928 talkie.
Anyone else see it?
I liked it when Paul barged straight into Bobby Grant's house as soon
as he opened the door and then Bobby Grant dragged him outside
and held him up against the wall.

Start as you mean to go on, that's what I say.

I only watched it after it had been going for about a year. I'm
sure if they could square Phil Redmond they'd get a "reasonable"
audience for a complete re-run on one of the digital channels.

Paul's son Gordon looked different I assume they changed the actor
later on.

michael adams

JNugent
2007-10-01 23:15:51 UTC
Post by michael adams
Post by JNugent
[...]
They did. The character was supposed to have run away to France for a
year or two and was re-cast on his return. The same happened to
"Lucy", played by Maggie Saunders after her return some years later.
But the late Katrin Cartlidge did return to the part (briefly) just
before the family was finally written out after Doreen Sloane's death.
M25
2007-10-02 18:08:12 UTC
Post by michael adams
Post by JNugent
[...]
Why did they repeat a terrible soap like brookside, why not repeat
something funny and well written like prospects?
JNugent
2007-10-02 18:34:38 UTC
Post by M25
Post by michael adams
Post by JNugent
[...]
Whether or not that was "funny" and "well-written", was it shown on
the opening night of Channel Four, 2nd November 1982?
techtvfan
2007-10-02 22:35:19 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by M25
Post by michael adams
Post by JNugent
[...]
the opening night of Channel Four, 2nd November 1982?- Hide quoted text -
Why on earth is Brookie not showing on a regular basis, a very cheap
filler it would be very popular for certian. Some of the storylines in
the 80's were excellent like the druggie Hubby who married the the
lovely Heather Haversham, NIck Black I think he was called, was also
the Brother of Ken Barlow in Corrie in the 60's. LIving TV did a good
job of showing many years worth of episodes fron the start some years
ago. Then it went on to Sky 1 and stopped when they got to episodes
from 1996. At one point Sky were showing 10 episodes a week at 10am in
the morning weekdays then it tranferred to 3am, crazy...
Dom Robinson
2007-10-03 23:34:45 UTC
Post by techtvfan
Post by JNugent
Whether or not that was "funny" and "well-written", was it shown on
the opening night of Channel Four, 2nd November 1982?- Hide quoted text -
Why on earth is Brookie not showing on a regular basis, a very cheap
filler it would be very popular for certian. Some of the storylines in
the 80's were excellent like the druggie Hubby who married the the
lovely Heather Haversham, NIck Black I think he was called, was also
the Brother of Ken Barlow in Corrie in the 60's. LIving TV did a good
job of showing many years worth of episodes fron the start some years
ago. Then it went on to Sky 1 and stopped when they got to episodes
from 1996. At one point Sky were showing 10 episodes a week at 10am in
the morning weekdays then it tranferred to 3am, crazy...
Trouble is, a lot of it isn't suitable for daytime showing, although they
could probably still show it then because no-one would complain as the only
ones watching would be fans tuning in to reminisce.

I remember Sky One got as far as showing the result of the incest storyline
before their episodes ran out.
--
Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor)
Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=DVDfeverDom
Dom Robinson
2007-10-03 23:34:44 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by michael adams
Post by JNugent
[...]
Bloody hell. Dead at 41. Never knew.

On a more amusing note, there was a classic scene with the original Gordon
buying his first pint in a pub, asking, "Can I have *some beer*, please?",
getting teased in the process.

Back then, of course, he was a screaming heterosexual :)
™
2007-10-02 07:10:50 UTC
Post by JNugent
More 4 tonight showed the editions of "Countdown" and "Brookside" from
C4's opening night nearly 25 years ago, as well as "Walter" and "Five
Go Mad...".
I thought I remembered the first Brookside episode, but it felt as
though I'd never seen the first half. In particular, I didn't remember
the scenes at the Collins family's previous (Wirral?) home. The
memories came flooding back with the second part, though.
It seemed fairly slow. And the sound was mystifyingly poor - up and
down in volume like a 1928 talkie.
Anyone else see it?
Balls! I saw it in the supplements, but forgot to watch it.

Also I remember the Collins family, Annabelle got a bit fruity with a
councillor once. The other thing I remember about Brookie was whenever
there was a crisis, or somebody was scik or depressed there were
always bunny rabbits on the telly.

Good luck!
Col
2007-10-03 04:44:03 UTC
Post by ™
Post by JNugent
[...]
The Magic Rabbits!
--
Col

Steal a spaceship and head for the sun,
Shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.
Dom Robinson
2007-10-03 23:34:45 UTC
In article <***@mid.individual.net>, ***@tiscali.co.uk
says...
Post by Col
Post by ™
Post by JNugent
[...]
They should've made that a proper programme!