R.I.P Anna Keaveney, Brookside's Marie Jackson
Mark
2004-11-22 19:11:34 UTC
Brookside actress Keaveney dies
from bbc.co.uk

Anna Keaveney recently appeared in ITV comedy Doc Martin
Actress Anna Keaveney, who appeared in Brookside, My Family and A Touch of
Frost, has died of lung cancer aged 55.
Keaveney, who played Brookside's Marie Jackson when the Channel 4 soap began
in 1982, died on Saturday.

Born in Runcorn, Cheshire, she also starred in numerous films including
1989's Shirley Valentine.

She played Nellie in Mike Leigh's latest film Vera Drake, which won the
Golden Lion prize for best film at this year's Venice Film Festival.

Cameo role

And most recently she appeared alongside Richard Wilson in ITV's King of
Fridges and with Martin Clunes in Doc Martin.

Other TV appearances included the part of Matron in ITV drama Footballers'
Wives and a cameo role as Tom Farrell's mother Sheila in BBC comedy Gimme
Gimme Gimme.

Keaveney's career also included stage performances in Neaptide for the
National Theatre, Private Lives and The Rise and Fall of Little Voice.

The actress died in hospital. Her agent Barry Brown said: "Anna was due to
have had another operation on Friday but unfortunately she was too weak."
JNugent
2004-11-22 19:18:28 UTC
Post by Mark
Brookside actress Keaveney dies
from bbc.co.uk
Anna Keaveney recently appeared in ITV comedy Doc Martin
Actress Anna Keaveney, who appeared in Brookside, My Family and A
Touch of Frost, has died of lung cancer aged 55.
Quelle surprise.

Because of one of Phil Redmond's more sensible pet hates, she was almost the
only actor ever allowed to smoke in-vision (or perhaps even on set). She
once said that when she auditioned for the part, she smoked a cigarette,
saying (inexplicably, IMHO) "I think they liked that".

---